Sunday, January 4, 2015

Cinnamon Rolls, Kolaches, and Horn Rolls...OH MY.

After my first post, I decided to go out of my comfort zone and ask someone to teach me something that I thought would be enjoyable to learn in the kitchen.  I instantly thought of my Aunt Marie who has taken over the duties of Kolache maker for our extended family.  I sent her a quick text before Thanksgiving asking her if she could show me how sometime.  She was baking the upcoming weekend for Thanksgiving so I drove to Omaha, and she showed me the secret to making Kolaches.

My first solo batch with Sarah.  Not bad! 
Here is what I learned.  Marie is an excellent teacher.  It was almost like I was at a cooking show. She had most of the dough made and ready to go so we could get right to work on forming the Kolaches, but she left one batch to make with me (I can now scald milk).  She made sure I participated and didn't just watch.  I learned that you can make the pastries and the horn rolls from the same dough. I learned that lard and crisco are different things.  I learned it was not as hard or as messy as I thought it was going to be.  I also learned if it is well planned out like Marie had it planned, it is not as time consuming as I thought it would be either.

Our cinnamon rolls would have turned out better
if I would have remembered to let them rise.
They still tasted good :)
But the best part of the day was hanging out with my aunt and my cousin (and her friend).  I don't spend enough time just doing something fun with my family members.  I kept this in mind when I tried a few days later to make cinnamon rolls and kolaches on my own or should I say with the help of Sarah (my soon to be six year old).  Sarah used to say that her talent was talking to animals; now it is baking.  She loves to help in the kitchen.  Any of us who have or had young children know that having "help" in the kitchen doesn't always make the process easier.   Sarah and I made a much bigger mess than Marie and I did, but we also made a memory, and I have to remember that cooking can do that.  It is one of the reasons I want to get better at it and enjoy it more.  Oh, our kolaches turned out too!


2 comments:

  1. I love this post! The best parts of the Brave Project have resulted from asking for help. So wonderful! (And I want to learn to make kolaches too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I am enjoying your bravery . . . maybe I will find the energy to be brave myself. I really enjoy the Sweets with Sarah episodes!

    ReplyDelete